From Durban: Full Day Shared Tour to Sani Pass Lesotho
Take a journey off the beaten track to the Roof of Africa on our Full Day Shared Tour to Sani Pass in Lesotho from Durban and experience a country within the borders of South Africa. This is one of our most exhilarating day tours as we will drive along the scenic Drakensberg Mountain range on a gravel road over the escarpment for approximately 33km. The Sani Pass, formerly known as the bridal path for Basotho people to transport their goods to and from the Highlands of Lesotho and KwaZulu-Natal. Today this route affords guests the adventure to travel this route to a height of 2873 meters above sea level in a 4×4 vehicle.
- Visit a country within a country crossing the borders of South Africa into Lesotho
- Experience the scenic Drakensberg mountains up to the Sani Pass in Lesotho
- Visit the Highest Pub in Africa, situated at 3240 meters for lunch and refreshments
- Travel in a 4×4 vehicle through a gravel road and over the Drakensberg escarpment
- Meet the Basotho people in their traditional habitat and experience their way of life
Please note that Passports are required for this tour as we will cross the border of South Africa into Lesotho.
After pick up at Guest’s accommodation between 6:00 and 6:30am, we depart Durban for our Full Day Shared Tour to Sani Pass. We will stop off in Underberg at 9:00am, where we will board a shared 4×4 enclosed vehicle with an experienced Tour Guide/Driver who knows the ins and outs of the Sani Pass tour route. At 9:30am we depart from Underberg and travel for approximately 2-hours, 30-minutes to the summit. We will be traveling along a gravel/rocky road for the majority of the journey on this unique Sani Pass experience.
We will stop at breathtaking viewpoints along the way with scenic landscapes and mountains including the Twelve Apostles. See fresh water and frozen streams, vegetation, fauna and flora. We will pass two border posts namely South Africa and Lesotho and guests can take advantage of the unique opportunity to take a short walk across the border from South Africa into Lesotho. At this point we will be at an altitude of 2873 meters. Please ensure to bring along a warm jacket because the higher we go, the colder it tends to become.
Upon our arrival in Lesotho, the road becomes a smoother, normal tarred road. We enter into a village of the Sotho inhabitants and learn about their lifestyle. Visit one of the traditional huts where you will hear stories about their lives and taste freshly baked pot bread (very good tasting bread which can be purchased). You may also purchase other souvenir items in this hut like traditional handmade jewellery, hats, scarfs and other memorabilia. Please bring along cash should you wish to purchase any items from the locals in the huts. ZAR currency is accepted in Lesotho. Your tour guide/driver will teach you how to greet in Sotho and how to say Thank you. Once you have completed the orientation tour in the hut, a group of men and women will be waiting outside to perform traditional singing and dancing for you.
An optional Lunch and refreshments can be enjoyed at the Highest Pub in Africa, a restaurant and bar situated at the Lesotho border. Please bring along Cash in ZAR for lunch (A-La-Carte menu from R55.00 to R150.00 per person).
After lunch we return to Underberg between 16:00 and 16:30pm and from there we return to Durban for drop off at guest’s accommodation.
- Shared Qualified Tour Guide/Driver, vehicle and fuel
- Pick up and drop off at accommodation in Durban
- Bottled water onboard the vehicle
- Meals and Drinks (Available for purchase at The Highest Pub in Africa Restaurant and Bar – Please bring cash ZAR)
- Entrance fees to places of interest as per itinerary (Please see Entrance Fees list)
- Gratuities (optional)
Entrance Fees List
- Sani Pass 4×4 Experience @R850.00 per adult; R630.00 per child (under 15 yrs)
What to Bring:
- Passport for verification at the borders (No passport – No Lesotho)
- Cash in ZAR for optional souvenirs and/or lunch
- A warm jacket
- Optional Sun Hat; Sunglasses and Sunscreen (Although it might be cold in Lesotho, please be weary of African Sunray)
We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled a day or less before event
Cancellations should be emailed to [email protected]
Please note: All confirmed bookings will automatically incur a 10% non refundable admin fee for any cancellations received.